Also known as UR according to AbbreviationFinder.org, Rochester College is a university deprived of the state north of New York, based in the city of Rochester, is an institution that stands in fields such as medicine, the engineering or business, is a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities.
The University was founded in 1850, it offers several programs for baccalaureate and graduate certificates. Graduates have leadership roles in a wide variety of fields and are particularly well represented in the faculties of the top universities in the United States. It is one of the premier research universities in the country. Our 158 buildings are home to more than 200 academic majors, more than 2,000 faculty and instructional staff, and approximately 9,300 students.approximately and half of whom are women. It was one of the schools named by Newsweek magazine as a “New Ivy League School.” The list of schools includes institutions whose academic programs and students compete with Ivy League schools. The professional music conservatory is the Eastman School of Music, it is home to more than 20 student ensembles, including the Eastman Wind Ensemble, the first of its kind in the country and a pioneering force in the band movement symphonic wind. The university offers a wide range of sports facilities where it has areas for football, basketball, athletics,swimming, tennis, golf, squash or baseball among others, sports that you can practice as a hobby or representing your university in interuniversity competitions.
Located in the north of the State of New York on Lake Ontario, Rochester is 540 kilometers from the city of New York, just 90 minutes from the falls of Niagara and Canada, and, after crossing the border, a short trip to Toronto. More than 1 million people live in Rochester.
Learn, discover, create and make the world better and better
Founded as “an institution of the highest order” and guided by the motto Meliora or getting better, the University of Rochester will help solve the greatest challenges of the 21st century through:
- Accelerate our progress as an international leader in science, engineering, social sciences, sciences of health, business and music.
- Empower students to fulfill their academic and professional passions in a University that is diverse, welcoming, and inclusive of all students, faculty, and staff.
- Creating innovative connections between education, humanities, music, social sciences, science, engineering, and health sciences.
- Strengthen support for a dynamic faculty dedicated to teaching, mentoring, research, clinical care, and the creative and performing arts.
- Serving our community of alumni and friends through imaginative programs that enrich their lifelong relationship with the University and expand our collective contributions to the world.
- On our leadership position in Rochester and the nation for making our communitya model of partnership between academic, civic, cultural, health and business organizations.
It is made up of seven colleges and schools along 300 acres in length. Its student body is about 9,300 students. It awards graduate and undergraduate degrees in various areas, through the School of Arts and Sciences, School of Engineering and [Applied Sciences, Eastman School of Music, Margaret Warner Graduate School of Education and Human Development, School of Medicine and Dentistry, School of Nursingand the William E. Simón Graduate School of Business Administration. His learning is also on a very personal scale. Rochester remains one of the smallest and most collegiate among leading research universities, with smaller class sizes, a low 9:01 student-to-professor ratio, and increased interactions with professors.
Faculties and Schools
- Faculty of Sciences, Art and Engineering
- EastmanSchool of Music
- Faculty of Medicineand Dentistry
- School of Nursing
- William Simón College of Business
- Margaret Warner School of Education
The University of Rochester is a vibrant center for discovery and innovation, with researchers engaged in cutting-edge work across the humanities, natural and social sciences, engineering and medicine, these academic facilities are completed by other buildings where the Students will be able to develop their research activities, and among which it is worth highlighting:
- Libraries, such as River Campus, Edward G. Miner, Sibley Music, or Charlotte Whitney.
- Laser energylaboratory
- Optical center
- Memorial Art Gallery
- CEK Mes Observatory
Semester at Sea Program
Semester at Sea program (Semester at Sea). Also known as Semester Cruise at Sea. Academic International Studies Program established in 1964, sponsored by the University of Virginia at Charlottesville and administered by the Institute for Onboard Studies. The Cruise sails through 16 countries, thus complying with a philosophy and learning method that combines the rigor of teaching with the creation of life experiences to promote a greater understanding of international reality and respect for different cultures. The faculty comes from American and foreign universities. All teachers have a broad curriculum with teaching activities in the United States and in their countries of origin, and a group of them are experts in the study of the countries that the cruise ship visits.
Between 1999 and 2004, Semestre en el Mar included Cuba in its itinerary ten times. However, in August 2004 the program lost its travel license due to restrictions imposed by the George W. Bush administration on the development of academic and cultural exchanges between Cuba and the United States. It was not until June 2013 that the Barack Obama administration granted him the license again.