Also known as UOI according to AbbreviationFinder.org, the University of Iowa is located on a 769-hectare campus in Iowa City, in southeastern Iowa, on the banks of the Iowa River. Founded in 1847, the University of Iowa is a public university that consistently ranks among the best public universities in the country in terms of its commitment to education, research, and service.
Its foundation dates from February 25, 1847, as the first public institution of higher education. Despite its original name, it is not to be confused with Iowa State University.
His first faculty offered education in March 1855 students in the building of the old machinery is now situated where Seashore Hall. In September 1855, the student body reached 124, of which 41 were women. 1856-57 catalog It listed nine departments offering Ancient Languages, Modern Language, Philosophy Intellectual, Moral Philosophy, History, Natural History, Mathematics, Natural Philosophy and Chemistry.
At first its original campus consisted of the Old Iowa Capitol Building and 10 acres of land on which it rested. Following the foundation stone site on July 4, 1840, the building housed the Fifth Assembly of the Iowa Territory (December 5, 1842) and later became the first Iowa State Capitol (December 28, 1846). . Until then it had been the third capitol in the Iowa Territory. When the Iowa capitol was moved to Des Moines in 1857, the Old Capitol became the first permanent “home” of the University.
The main campus of the University of Iowa, originally designed by Daniel Cook, is located in Iowa City, with the campus being bordered by Park Road to the north and Dubuque and Gilbert streets to the east. US Route 6 runs through the university campus. The Iowa River runs through the campus dividing it into a west and east side. The Iowa campus is located in the center of Iowa City which leaves little room for landscaping and much of the campus is concrete and crowded due to its location.
The University of Iowa is made up of 11 colleges, the largest of which is the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, enlisting the majority of Iowa undergraduate students. The Henry B. Tippie College of Business, the Roy J. and Lucille A. Carver College of Medicine, and the Colleges of Education, Engineering, Law, Nursing, Pharmacy, enroll undergraduate students, and with the Colleges of Dentistry and Public Health they offer graduate degrees.
This university offers a lot of variety and flexibility in its courses. The University offers more than 200 areas of study at the undergraduate level. 25 of UI’s programs are ranked in the top 25 in the country.
It has very good resources for learning, including computer equipment, extensive library collections, multimedia equipment, video editing rooms, and audio-visual facilities. The educational services of the University are technology oriented. The campus has many centers to support its academic programs. The University’s main support centers are the Academic Counseling Center, the Writing Center, the Media Production Center, the Stead Center for Advanced Technologies Applied to Learning, and the Teaching Center.
The University of Iowa Libraries are the largest library system in Iowa and are ranked 18th among research libraries in the United States in collection size. The Main Library has the largest computer center on campus, with more than 200 workstations. It also houses more than 5 million volumes of learning resources and can accommodate 2,000 people. Students can also benefit from the SmartSearch system that allows to search for books and magazines printed or online, articles, library web pages, digital collections and others, simultaneously, in addition to 5 branch libraries specialized in art, science, business, engineering and music.
- Its inception was just 59 days after Iowa became a state.
- In 1855, Iowa became the first public university in the United States to admit men and women indifferently.
- One of the highlights of the campus is the “Pentacrest”, a popular place for students to study, socialize or just sit. Pedestrian paths and benches are distributed throughout the campus, especially on the banks of the Iowa River.
In 1976, Chapman University faced financial problems compounded by the oil crisis, and had to leave the program. Then Tung and Dr. Griffiths founded the Institute for Onboard Education, with Dr. Griffiths as Executive Director, and Dr. John Tymitz second in command. Soon after, Dr. Lewan also joined the program.
Looking for another university sponsor of the program is how they found the University of Colorado that gives continuity to the program, now called Semester at Sea. Dr. Max Brandt also joined in this stage.
In 1981, the University of Pittsburgh took over the sponsorship of the program.
In 1984 Dr. MA Griffiths retired as Executive Director (although he continued for several years working in fundraising and alumni) and Dr. Tymitz was appointed as the new Executive Director, who ably led the program to through many years until his retirement in 2007.
In 2006 the program found a new academic sponsor at the University of Virginia and Dr Les McCabe joins as the new leader of the Institute for Onboard Education (ISE).