Tulane University is also known as TU according to AbbreviationFinder.org. Founded in 1834, it has been characterized by being the headquarters of several of the most important research centers on South America in the United States. Considered the Medical College of Louisiana, in response to the smallpox, yellow fever and cholera epidemics that were occurring in the United States at the time. The University was at one time, in the first half of the 19th century, the second largest hospital in the southern United States. It developed throughout the 1830s to formally become a university in 1847. Privatized under the patronage of philanthropist Paul Tulane (hence its name) and Josephine Louise Newcomb in 1884.
After its founding in 1847, the state legislature established the school as the University of Louisiana, a public university. Shortly thereafter, the law department (Tulane University Law School) was added. In 1851, the first president of the university was selected: Francis Lister Hawks, bishop and prominent citizen of New Orleans.
It was closed from 1861 to 1865, during the American Civil War. When the war ended and the university reopened, it went through a series of critical periods for financial reasons, mainly due to the then prevailing economic depression in the region. It was then that Paul Tulane, businessman and philanthropist, donated the land on which the institution is located in order to promote its resurgence. This donation led to the formation of a Fund, the Tulane Educational Fund (TEF). In response, under the influence of Civil War general Randall Lee Gibson, the Louisiana state legislature transferred control of the existing University of Louisiana to the administrators of the TEF in 1884. That was properly the act of creating Tulane University. When the University was privatized,
In 1885, the Graduate Division was established and later became the Graduate School of the University. A year later, donations of more than $ 3.6 million from Josephine Louise Newcomb led to the establishment of H. Sophie Newcomb Memorial College within Tulane University. This was the first college-level college for women, which was to become a model used by institutions such as Brown University’s famed Pembroke College. In 1894 the College of Technology was formed, which would later become the School of Engineering. The same year, 1894, the University moved to its current campus on historic St. Charles Avenue, which was made famous by the journey of its famous streetcar.
The main campus of the university is located on Saint Charles Avenue, in the northern part of the city of New Orleans. It consists of an area of ca. 0.5 km², very close to Audubon Park. Established in the 1890s, the traditional campus is known for its beautiful gardens, oak groves, and historic architecture. It is popularly known as the San Carlos Campus (St. Charles Campus).
The first building for academic purposes built at the university (1894) was Gibson Hall, which now houses the Schools of Architecture and Social Work. At the center of the campus are most of the student residences, as well as the Newcomb Campus, designed by New York architect James Gamble Rogers, recognized for his work on another famous university campus, Yale University. In this area of the Newcomb Campus are the theaters representing fine arts.
It currently has the following faculties and schools:
- School of Architecture, whose first courses were inaugurated in 1894, although it has existed as an independent school since 1953.
- Alfred Bird Freeman School of Business, named after one of its benefactors, who was president of Coca Cola of Louisiana. It is ranked the 44th business school in the United States.
- LawSchool, established in 1847, is the 12th oldest law school in the United States.
- School of Liberal Arts, consisting of 15 different departments and 22 interdisciplinary programs.
- School of Medicine, founded in 1834, was in fact the first college to exist within Tulane University and is the 15th. Oldest medical school in America.
- School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, possibly the oldest in the United States in its specialty.
- School of Science and Engineering, where scientific disciplines are taught, among which are: Chemical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Molecular Biology, Ecology, Mathematics, Neuroscience, Geology and others.
- School of Social Sciences and Public Services founded in 1914 that had the first social work program in the Deep South of the United States.
It hosted several prominent professors, such as two members, each winning the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine:
- Louis J. Ignarro
- Andrew V. Schally
- Tulane Universityhas an interactive map where you can locate hotels near the campus
- Tulane University also houses collections related to the history of Louisiana, such as the university archives, archives on the history of jazz, the Louisiana collection, archives on the architecture of the region, etc.
- As a result of the effects of Hurricane Katrina, in August 2005, most of the university was closed for the second time in its history. The School of Public Health remained open and its programs were adapted to the eventuality. The School of Medicine was temporarily relocated to Houston, Texas. Most of the students of the institution had to disperse throughout the country.
- In 1894 the University moved to its current campus on historic Charles Avenue, which was made famous by the journey of its famous streetcar.