According to topschoolsintheusa, Montgomery, Michigan is a small town located in Hillsdale County, with a population of just under 1,000 people. The town is situated on the banks of the St. Joseph River, and has a total area of 1.9 square miles. The climate in the area is marked by cold winters and warm summers, with an average daily temperature of 60 degrees Fahrenheit.
The history of Montgomery dates back to 1836 when it was first established as a village. For many years it remained an agricultural community until the early 1900s when a number of industries moved into the area and began to shape the economy. In recent years, Montgomery has seen a growth in its population due to its proximity to larger cities such as Detroit and Ann Arbor.
Politics in Montgomery are largely conservative, although there is some diversity among the residents who range from moderate Republicans to Democrats. The town’s economy consists mainly of small businesses and family-owned farms, but there are also several large employers in the area such as Hillsdale College and ProMedica Health System.
Montgomery is home to several schools including Hillsdale Academy which offers grades K-12, as well as two elementary schools: Montgomery Elementary School and North Elementary School. There are also several private schools located nearby for those who prefer more specialized education options.
As for landmarks, Montgomery has several historic sites such as Old Stone Church which was built in 1845; St Joseph Catholic Church which dates back to 1867; and Montgomery Town Hall which was built in 1880 and still serves as the city hall today. Additionally, visitors can check out one of many local parks or take part in outdoor activities like fishing or hiking at nearby Baw Beese Lake Park or Hidden Lakes Park Nature Preserve.
Population: 386. Estimated population in July 2020: 379 (-1.8% change)
Males: 200 (51.8%), Females: 186 (48.2%)
Zip code: 49255
Median resident age: 32.0 years
Median household income: $42,500
Median house value: $54,700
Races in Montgomery:
- White Non-Hispanic (97.2%)
- Hispanic (2.1%)
Ancestries: German (25.6%), United States (18.4%), Irish (7.5%), English (6.7%), Dutch (6.5%), Italian (5.7%).
Elevation: 1040 feet
Land area: 1.0 square miles
Montgomery, Michigan is a small city located in the southeastern portion of the state. As of the 2020 census, Montgomery has a population of about 4,000 people. The majority of the population is white (91.4%), followed by African American (2.1%), Asian (2.2%), and Hispanic or Latino (4.3%). The median household income in Montgomery is $45,743 and the median home value is $121,500.
Living costs in Montgomery are relatively low compared to other cities in Michigan and across the country. The cost of living index for Montgomery is at 85.7 which is 15% lower than the national average and 17% lower than Michigan’s average cost of living index score of 102.3. In terms of housing, rent for a one-bedroom apartment averages around $650 per month while two-bedroom apartments range from $800 – $900 per month depending on location and amenities included in rent payments. Utilities such as electricity, water, gas and internet are fairly priced with an average monthly rate between $150 -$200 depending on usage levels and provider chosen by residents.
For population 25 years and over in Montgomery
- High school or higher: 71.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 2.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.0%
- Unemployed: 4.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 27.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Montgomery village
- Never married: 25.1%
- Now married: 55.4%
- Separated: 1.3%
- Widowed: 5.5%
- Divorced: 12.7%
0.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +4 (+1.0%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Montgomery:
- HILLSDALE COMMUNITY HEALTH CENTER (about 16 miles; HILLSDALE, MI)
- CAMERON MEMORIAL COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 18 miles; ANGOLA, IN)
- COMMUNITY HEALTH CTR OF BRANCH COUNTY (about 18 miles; COLDWATER, MI)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Montgomery:
- W K KELLOGG (about 48 miles; BATTLE CREEK, MI; Abbreviation: BTL)
- KALAMAZOO/BATTLE CREEK INTERNATIONAL (about 61 miles; KALAMAZOO, MI; Abbreviation: AZO)
- FORT WAYNE INTERNATIONAL (about 62 miles; FORT WAYNE, IN; Abbreviation: FWA)
Other public-use airports nearest to Montgomery:
- HILLSDALE MUNI (about 19 miles; HILLSDALE, MI; Abbreviation: JYM)
- BRANCH COUNTY MEMORIAL (about 21 miles; COLDWATER, MI; Abbreviation: OEB)
- TRI-STATE STEUBEN COUNTY (about 22 miles; ANGOLA, IN; Abbreviation: ANQ)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Montgomery:
- SPRING ARBOR UNIVERSITY (about 35 miles; SPRING ARBOR, MI; Full-time enrollment: 2,266)
- JACKSON COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 44 miles; JACKSON, MI; Full-time enrollment: 2,756)
- KELLOGG COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 49 miles; BATTLE CREEK, MI; Full-time enrollment: 2,824)
- INDIANA UNIVERSITY-PURDUE UNIVERSITY-FORT WAYNE (about 52 miles; FT WAYNE, IN; Full-time enrollment: 7,385)
- LANSING COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 64 miles; LANSING, MI; Full-time enrollment: 8,454)
- WESTERN MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY (about 66 miles; KALAMAZOO, MI; Full-time enrollment: 23,132)
- MICHIGAN STATE UNIVERSITY (about 70 miles; EAST LANSING, MI; Full-time enrollment: 38,639)