Merrill, Michigan is a small town located in the center of Saginaw County. It has a population of around 4,000 people and is home to many diverse cultures, including Native Americans and families whose ancestors immigrated from all over Europe. The geography of Merrill is mostly flat with rolling hills in certain areas. It has a humid continental climate with warm summers and cold winters. See harvardshoes for main cities in Michigan.
The history of Merrill dates back to the late 1800s when it was founded by settlers from Ohio who were drawn to the area by its abundant natural resources and good soil for farming. In the early 1900s, the town experienced an economic boom thanks to its thriving lumber industry which supplied lumber for homes and businesses throughout the Midwest. This growth continued throughout the 20th century as other industries such as manufacturing and health care emerged in the area.
Politically, Merrill is a heavily Democratic-leaning community that tends to favor progressive candidates in elections. The economy of Merrill is largely driven by agriculture, manufacturing, retail trade, and health care services. The town also has an active arts scene with multiple galleries and performance venues that attract visitors from all over Michigan.
When it comes to education, Merrill has one public school district which serves students from kindergarten through 12th grade. There are also several private schools in town as well as a community college located just outside of city limits. Popular landmarks in Merrill include the Saginaw County Courthouse, St Mary’s Church, and Lake Lancer Park which offers activities like fishing, swimming, boating, camping, hiking trails, and more.
Population: 782. Estimated population in July 2020: 758 (-3.1% change)
Males: 360 (46.0%), Females: 422 (54.0%)
Zip code: 48637
Median resident age: 36.7 years
Median household income: $36,167
Median house value: $64,000
Races in Merrill:
- White Non-Hispanic (94.6%)
- Hispanic (4.1%)
- Other race (1.7%)
- American Indian (1.5%)
- Two or more races (0.5%)
Ancestries: German (31.2%), Irish (10.0%), Polish (9.7%), English (6.4%), French (6.0%), United States (5.2%).
Elevation: 671 feet
Land area: 0.7 square miles
Merrill, Michigan is a small city located in Saginaw County. The population of Merrill as of 2019 was 1,737 people. The median income for a family in Merrill is $40,000 per year. There are many different types of housing available in Merrill ranging from single-family homes to apartments and townhouses. The median home price in Merrill is around $90,000 and the average rent for a two-bedroom apartment is around $650 per month. The cost of living in Merrill is lower than the national average and there are many job opportunities available for those who want to work in the area. There are several schools located within the city limits including two public high schools and an elementary school. There are also several private schools located nearby as well as a community college and university.
The city of Merrill offers numerous recreational activities including parks, trails, golf courses, lakes, rivers and more. There are also plenty of restaurants ranging from fast food to fine dining establishments that cater to all tastes and budgets. Shopping options include local stores as well as larger chain stores such as Walmart and Meijer’s. Additionally, there are plenty of cultural attractions such as museums, galleries, theaters and music venues that provide entertainment for visitors and residents alike. With its low cost of living and wide variety of activities available, it’s easy to see why so many people call Merrill home!
For population 25 years and over in Merrill
- High school or higher: 87.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 10.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.6%
- Unemployed: 6.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 30.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Merrill village
- Never married: 20.6%
- Now married: 58.4%
- Separated: 0.7%
- Widowed: 9.2%
- Divorced: 11.1%
0.3% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +27 (+3.6%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Merrill:
- MIDMICHIGAN MEDICAL CENTER-MIDLAND (about 15 miles; MIDLAND, MI)
- HEALTHSOURCE SAGINAW (about 22 miles; SAGINAW, MI)
- GRATIOT COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 24 miles; ALMA, MI)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Merrill:
- MBS INTL (about 20 miles; SAGINAW, MI; Abbreviation: MBS)
- CAPITAL CITY (about 48 miles; LANSING, MI; Abbreviation: LAN)
- BISHOP INTERNATIONAL (about 53 miles; FLINT, MI; Abbreviation: FNT)
Other public-use airports nearest to Merrill:
- JACK BARSTOW (about 18 miles; MIDLAND, MI; Abbreviation: 3BS)
- HOWARD NIXON MEMORIAL (about 22 miles; CHESANING, MI; Abbreviation: 50G)
- RANDOLPH’S LANDING AREA (about 25 miles; ST JOHNS, MI; Abbreviation: 61G)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Merrill:
- NORTHWOOD UNIVERSITY (about 15 miles; MIDLAND, MI; Full-time enrollment: 2,784)
- SAGINAW VALLEY STATE UNIVERSITY (about 26 miles; UNIVERSITY CENTER, MI; Full-time enrollment: 6,216)
- DELTA COLLEGE (about 26 miles; UNIVERSITY CENTER, MI; Full-time enrollment: 5,117)
- CENTRAL MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY (about 38 miles; MT PLEASANT, MI; Full-time enrollment: 21,353)
- MICHIGAN STATE UNIVERSITY (about 49 miles; EAST LANSING, MI; Full-time enrollment: 38,639)
- KETTERING UNIVERSITY (about 49 miles; FLINT, MI; Full-time enrollment: 2,900)
- MOTT COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 52 miles; FLINT, MI; Full-time enrollment: 4,616)
Public high school in Merrill:
- MERRILL HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 276; Location: 555 W. ALICE STREET; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Merrill:
- MERRILL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 383; Location: 325 WEST ALICE STREET; Grades: PK – 05)
- MERRILL MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 237; Location: 755 W. ALICE STREET; Grades: 06 – 08)
Library in Merrill:
- MERRILL DISTRICT LIBRARY (Operating income: $57,938; Location: 136 NORTH MIDLAND STREET; 25,787 books; 397 audio materials; 172 video materials; 40 serial subscriptions)